The Penn State Center for the Study of Sports in Society is hosting the inaugural Penn State Sports Analytics Conference on the University Park campus on April 12-13, 2018. The Center’s mission is to support research, teaching, public programs and service across Penn State related to the study of sport and its cultural, economic and social impact. The event will be free to the public.
The conference’s introductory remarks will be made on Thursday evening, April 12, at the State Theatre in downtown State College. We are very pleased to have John Urschel serving as the keynote speaker. John played collegiate football at Penn State, where he earned his B.S. and M.A. in Mathematics. Currently John is a doctoral candidate in Applied Mathematics at MIT. John also played three years in the NFL before retiring prior to the 2017 season. On Friday, April 18th, a series of discussions on a variety of sports topics will take place at the Nittany Lion Inn. Also that Friday an undergraduate student poster competition will be held. A tentative agenda is provided below, and will be updated as more speakers are confirmed.
Thursday, April 12 at State Theatre
7:00pm – 8:00pm: John Urschel, keynote speaker.
8:15pm – 9:30pm: Limited get together with John, featured speakers, sponsors, and invited guests.
Friday, April 13 at Nittany Lion Inn
7:15am to 8:30am: Breakfast
7:30am to 8:30am: Registration
Concussion Research: 8:30 to 9:30
Statistics in Sports: 9:45 to 10:45
- Dr. Sam Ventura – Director of Hockey Research (Pittsburgh Penguins)
- Dr. Mark Broadie – (Columbia University)
- Chris Pang – Analyst, Baseball Research and Development (New York Mets)
Poster Competition: 11:00 to 11:45 (Undergraduates interested in submitting an abstract please visit Abstract Submission
Lunch: 12:00 to 1:00
Gender Disparity in Sports Analytics: 1:15 to 2:15
- Melanie Harris – Business Analytics Manager (Pittsburgh Steelers)
- Dr. Ivana Seric – Data Scientist: Analytics and Strategy (Philadelphia 76ers)
- Corinne Landrey – Baseball Research and Development Analyst (Philadelphia Phillies)
Data Use in Sports Journalism/Broadcasting: 2:30 to 3:30
- Marty Aronoff – Talent Statistician, ESPN, TNT, Fox Sports, and ComcastSportsNet
- Ben Bouma – Co-owner and CEO of Seattle Sports Assets, LLC.
Research in Sports Technology: 3:45 to 4:45
Announcement of Poster Winners and Concluding Remarks: 5:00 to 5:30